Tuesday, May 27

Gallery 50a Fo Sho

Brained

Samson gets down to business slaying a philistine. It is my favourite sculpture at the VA, bam pow! The marble carved in Florence by Giambologna from 1560 to 1562.  As we might say in Berkeley, "he is about to get doughed."

Another expression, unique to the East Bay I believe, is "hell of" like "she is hell of fine" or "the exam was hell of hard."  Could this be the Berkeley filial of 'Ebonics' , an African-American English vernacular which, in 1996, the Oakland school board tried to introduce as a distinct native language, to be taught throughout the Oakland school district in parallel to English? Possibly.

Of course every generation has its slang to establish boundaries from the next generation. Eitan, for his part, has a slow rhythmic cadence to keep my questions at bay: he nearly whispers, "I'm OK with that", "whatever" or "If you think so." Sometimes I get a soothing "That's nice," and "Oh, really ?" when I know he could care less. Fair enough.

"Befo' you know it, he be done aced de tesses." (Before you know it, he will have already aced the tests.)
"Ah 'on know what homey be doin." (I don't know what my friend is usually doing.)
"Can't nobody tink de way he do." (Nobody can think the way he does.)
 "I ast Ruf could she bring it ovah to Tom crib." (I asked Ruth if/whether she could bring it over to Tom's place.)
--Ebonics Notes and Discussion, Stanford University, 1996