Tuesday, March 25

The Carefree Lifestyle


Me, in the car: "So how are we feeling these days?"
Eitan: "OK, I guess."
Me: "Anything you want to be doing?"
Eitan: "Not really. I don't want to be, like, 30 and having missed something in the 'carefree lifestyle.' "
Me: "The 'carefree lifestyle' ? Like not having any responsibility ?"
Eitan: "Well, it's not like that. .. ."
Me: "So what exactly is this 'carefree lifestyle'? "
Eitan: "It's like in your 20s. And before you have a family and stuff."
Me: "So your 20s are carefree? That's news to me. I was working my ass off."
Eitan: "But you always talk about it like it was fun."
Me: "I was trying to eat. I had to pay for all that macaroni and cheese somehow."
Eitan: "Yeah."
Me: "So who do you know who has the 'carefree lifestyle'? "
Eitan: "Katie does."
Me: "Oh?"
Eitan: "She gets up when she wants, and she works with her friends. And she's not bossy. And she's really cool."
Me: "She'll like knowing that."

Me: "So your mother sent Clara an email about joining our family after Aneta leaves" [Dad's note: our fabulous Aneta is leaving in May; Clara, also from The Czech, will join us]
Eitan:
Me: "Do you think you will be able to ignore her?"
Eitan: "Huh?"
Me: "Ignore her. Maybe we should invite her over so you and your sister can ignore her for a couple of hours. If it works out, then we'll hire her."
Eitan: "Whatever, Dad."