Tuesday, March 6

The Three Einsteins

Jack, Cyrus and Eitan - a goofy crew, if ever there was one. Jack crushed his school entrance exams getting places at Kingston Grammer, Hampton School, Latimer and Tiffin (which accepts less than 10% since it is the best state-school in Surrey); Cyrus, who will go to St Paul's, and Eitan (Hampton School). When together, these usually serious fellows act silly : Syrus hits a sugar high and I think : powerful drugs. It is all I can do to keep an eye on them.

In the Olympic Village shopping mall.
Me: "What's that?"
Eitan: "It's a 'Winlock.' " [Eitan holds up a small, stuffed object]
Me:
Eitan: "The Olympic mascot. I'm going to buy it for ten pounds."
Me: "You're kidding, right?"
Eitan: "No .. ."
Me: "So you're telling me that if I told you to clean the front and back yard- that's two hours work - for £10, you would spend it on this?"
Eitan: "Yeah what's the big deal ? "
Cyrus: "I'm going to buy an Olympic key ring for £12. Eitan, can I borrow 2 quid?"
Jack : "No, way, that is such a good deal."
Me: