Tuesday, November 15

Fulham FC


The All Stars play a friendly against the Fulham Academy under-10s, pictured, on the Fulham FC grounds. Just another Tuesday night.  Me, I go running, then sit in reception to keep warm and blog and watch England vs. Sweden on the tele (England has not defeated Sweden since '68).

I listen to the ancient grounds keepers bitch about this or that but, man, do they know every blade of grass about their football: "Come on Theo, lad, put one in there!" and so on and so forth.  One offers : "I was was at John Terry's house last week" (John Terry being the England captain before he shagged his best mate's wife); the immediate reply: "On the job, were ya?" and so it goes. What really gets them going, though, is who is getting paid what for doing nothing.  I chip in my enthusiasm whenever England makes a strike or the goalkeeper Carson blocks something, anything (Eitan and I both agree: Carson a butter-fingers who kept us out of the '08 Euro Cup by allowing a clunker against Croatia. But who remembers these things?).

Then again, who would have ever thought that I would care about soccer, let alone spend half my waking life driving the boy to and from practice or watching games in my free time, as we do tonight, well past Eitan's bed time?  Not having grown up with a home team , I miss the passion of, say, a Liverpool or ManU fan, but I can appreciate the misery and joy having followed Cal from age three. Okay, Cal has been mostly misery but I still get it.  England wins, 1-nil. 

Madeleine's visit to Mr H gets a shrugged shoulder. More on this later.