Tuesday, August 16

On Stage

Madeleine and I at a local park inside Moab.

Madeleine gets a hair-cut (feathered, like Sean Cassidy, I tell her) and (continues to be) mistaken for a boy. Waiters, cashiers, strangers overheard calling her "pal," "bud," and "dude" . , which gets a raised eyebrow from Eitan : to laugh or be respectful to an adult? Conundrum. As for Madeleine , she enjoys the recognition: Tom boy. I have been calling her "Milo" this trip, a name, we both agree, boyish. Unclear whether this will stick in London. She ditches her one-piece swimsuit for trunks and a black "Quick Silver" top; she buys black Nike trainers. Yep, that's my girl, and I could not be more proud of her. I drive her nuts with practice times-tables and various commands, teasings, and orders but she still wants my attention which, I note to Sonnet, may not be the case in a few years.

Me: "Do you think I look fat?"
Madeleine: "No, Dad, you don't look fat."
Me: "Thanks, Madeleine, that's very nice of you."
Madeleine: "If you shave off all your hair than you would look even more fit."

@ the pool.
Eitan: "Can I go on your shoulders Dad?"
Me: "No."
Madeleine: "Can you give me an underwater ride?"
Me: "No, not now. Just let me swim."
Eitan: "Let's play chicken. Or shoulder ride!"
Me: "If you don't get off me, I am going to take off my swimming suit."
Madeleine: "Quick, Eitan, let go of Dad."
I drop my swimming trunks.
Eitan, Madeleine: "Aaaaaahh!"