Tuesday, November 16

L'Equipe Suisse

Geneve Natation 1885, pictured, in 1982 or '83. I trained with this group during my year in Switzerland. Coach Tony Ulrich, in slacks, took an interest in me and, with my parents, made it possible : Tony sorted an exchange family and then again mid-way through the year when Claude turned out to be a dud and returned to his mommy midway through the year. Tony often picked me up at my host parent's flat or the train station for dark morning practices. Asst Ralph, on the far-left, not a great coach but enthusiastic - we travelled Israel for a month for training sessions and competitions. I stayed on a kibbutz and ate cucumbers and lettuce for breakfast. I saw the dome of rock and wailing wall; Jerusalem's Arab markets and where Jesus walked on water. We visited Masada and the Dead Sea and I touched Jordan.


GN composed of a small group of distance swimmers but mostly staffed with middle-distance experts and sprinters. World Record holder Dana Halsell for instance (third from right). Etienne Dagon, holding the trophy, won Switzerland's first swimming medal in an Olympics - a bronze in '84 in the 200-meter breast stroke, clocking 2:18. Etienne old for a swimmer - 24 then - and dating a 14-year old on the team. Ah Europe. Behind him the Jacot brothers who helped set the Swiss 4X100 freestyle relay record. Theophile David (behind Etienne, chiseled jaw) a 2:02 200-meter butterflier and awesome physical specimen - tall and handsome - he anchored his huge hands at the top of the stroke while his body rolled over and forward. Slow, powerful, graceful. Theo a finalist at the '83 European Championships and ranked #8th in the world but did not register at Los Angeles. Theo having an affair with my host-sister, age 16.

I was in Geneva a couple years ago and swam some laps at the 50-meter grand basin. I looked for Tony but he was no longer there.