Monday, April 12

Map

Chatting casually at the family dinner. Me: "Madeleine, where is Britain?"

Madeleine: "Well there is France. And then there is Italy with that island. And Britain is below that...."
Me: "Atlas, please."
Madeleine: "Oh, Dad. Not this again. You always ask me things I don't want to do!"
Me: "Well, you are going to know where you live."
Madeleine: "I don't care where I live. I only care that I am alive."
Me: "That is all very fine and dramatic but no Britain, no desert."
Madeleine, tears: "Noooo!"
Madeleine opens the Atlas and scans the index: "How do you spell Europe?"
Me: "Well, it is... but you want Britain. Or England."
Madeleine eventually locates Britain on page 48.
Me: "You had better remember that page."
Madeleine: "I am going to write it on my hand."
Me:
Madeleine: "I am going to draw Europe on my hand." Pictured.