Tuesday, March 16

Sarcophagus - Queen - Taxes

This photo of Sonnet taken, I am guessing here, when she was ten though perhaps Stan or Silver can provide some detail. Madeleine keeps the picture with her valuables - she holds it dear - so I pinch it for now to scan and blog. Tomorrow, Madeleine's class will visit the British Museum as they study ancient Egypt. Eitan did the tour last year and took the family back for the highlights including "Ginny," a petrified mummy with a carrot-top hairdo pasted to her ghostly skull. 5,000 years look'n back atcha.


Sonnet at Buckingham Palace for a one-day exhibition showcasing the work of the British clothing industry from the fashion designers to their manufactures, the High Street and the press. This evening she will meet the Queen. Or, at least, the Queen will be present in a small gathering of the Good And The Great. Usually I beg to join these things but tonight no chance - security a maximum given her Royal Highness.

I have lunch with Lars. Since it is a glorious spring day we sit outside and discuss .. taxes. Yes, this a popular subject with ex-pats and rich people (we are not one) as the UK removes non-domicile status (or charges £30K for the privilege) and introduces a 50% tax-rate from April. So far there has not been an exodus but I am concerned when many (most) of my friends talk about leaving London. One could easily set up house in Geneva and pay a 27% tax rate or Hong Kong - 19%. Americans have more difficulty relocating away their burden since Uncle Sam takes his cut from no-matter-where but for my non-US pals: Britain at what price?

Moe corrects my yesterday blog: the piano in my parent's living room a Baby Grand Baldwin.