Friday, October 9

So '80s


Here is a picture from 1984 - I am guessing the year since I am not in it - my absence suggests Junior Year of high school when I abroad.  And, boy, was our family in the midst of that decade. Moe starts his successful law practice and his wonderful floor manager dies of AIDS; Grace's determination pursues the non-traditional and nets a PhD and full career.  What else going then? Well, the Love Boat and Fantasy Island, of course.  First drunk with Jana and Kristin at Hillside Park; first-dates and fumbling groping.  Adam's BMW 2002 which I drive sometimes and my history teacher - Mr Scrofani, who writes my college recommendations, and also succumbs to AIDS.  Walnut Creek Acquabears, the Pacific ocean and SATs.  Northcoast swimming and grandma to Sarasota. Meanwhile Katie and I work our asses off in swimming and school to enter decent universities .. in the background money - greed! - which eventually sucks me into Wall Street.  That era also defined by 'recreational' drugs - especially cocaine - which everywhere from in high school forward.  The North Berkeley hills had its plenty.  And certainly Brown with its prep-schooled privileged. 

Speaking of this - privilege, that is -  France's Sarkozy hands his son Jean the powerful post of boss of Europe's biggest business district - La Defense in Paris.  Jean being 23-years old and a third-year student.  This the kind of nonsense that makes The Fonz and his party  look bad.  Of course any dad will do everything in his power to ensure his child succeeds but such blatant nepotism .. stunning.  Bravo! Sarkozy just like everybody - for them and Paris, I hope his son not so stupid.

Sonnet: "What is it when somebody copies writing?"
Eitan: "Poaching?"
Me: "Plagarism" (but excellent choice of words)