Thursday, September 11

Goof


Here I am with the boy after playing some footie. He's in a heavenly mood following last night's World Cup Qualifier where England destroyed our nemesis Croatia, who we all recall kept us from the European Cup last year by thrashing us 3-2. The final score this time 4-1 and Theo Wilcott,the youngest on the pitch at 19, scores a hat-trick. Neat. In other news, Eitan and Madeleine host another yard-sale to earn some cash from their broken old toys. The past two days are spent pricing and when I suggest that £10 for a "tactic" might be a tad, ahem, overpriced Eitan tells me very politely to mind my own bee's wax. Fair enough. So I am not particularly surprised to learn from Sonnet, home from work yesterday to encourage our capitalists, that nothing has sold. At. All. I tell her to make "an anonymous purchase from a mystery buyer" which afterwards she tells me momentarily raises his hopes (when I ask about it later on, Eitan says "it was just you, dad" I mean, like come on). Madeleine bails for a play-date leaving our little earner left to promote on his own. Making a buck is never easy, I tell him - an obvious lesson but something that must be learned every day.

According to a Guardian survey, Sir Martin Sorrel, the Chief Executive of the WPP Group, is the highest paid executive in the UK in 2007 at £23,372,504 followed by Bart Becht at Reckitt Benckiser, Bob Diamon at Barclays and Mick Davies at Xstrata who took home £22,278,767, £18,139,000 and £13,953,635, respectively. The highest paid employees in a UK public company work for private equity group 3i, who make £231,000 per year. The average work in Britain last year made £24,000 including a 3.6% pay-rise which failed to offset 4.3% inflation on essentials like mortgage and food.

Pastor Rick Warren: "At what point, give me a number, give me a specific number, where do you move from middle class to rich?"
John McCain "So, I think, if you're just talking about income, how 'bout $5 million? (Laughter) So, no, but, but seriously, I don't think you can, i don't think, seriously, that, the point is that I'm trying to make here, seriously... and I'm sure that comment will be distorted."

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau

The Telegraph reports today that there will be fifty thousand fewer businesses that will start this year as the economic slump undermines would-be entrepreneurs from taking risks. It also reports that by 2009 end, Britain's business stock will have shrunk by 150,000 firms.