Thursday, September 14

Words

Madeleine, from back of the car: "I want to be rich."
Me: "What would you do with all that money?"
Her: "I would buy one bag of crisps and a lolly."

Eitan on what he will will eat at today's birthday party: "I'm going to have a bit of birthday cake, a cup cake, sausages and an omelette!"

On Milk
Me: "Madeleine, what does your milk taste like?"
She: "Apple juice."
Me: "Well, that's interesting."
She: "Do you know where milk grows?"
Me: "Yes?"
She: "It comes from the milky way, where it is bottled."

Sonnet asks Madeleine to clean up her lunch crumbs. Madeleine, on floor with a sponge and forlorn: "I'm just like Cinderella!"

Eitan and I play 20 questions
He: "Does it have a tail?"
Me: "No."
He: "Is it a cat without a tail?"


Madeleine, refusing to eat the dinner I've made: "This is the worst dinner I ever ate."

Madeleine looking at the breakfast I've prepared: "I hate it."

Madeleine re my home prepared chicken: "that's disgusting, dad."

Eitan matter-of-factly informs me that he will quit sucking his thumb if I stop drinking beer.

Last night Madeleine draws a picture for Sonnet's Saturday return, after lights-out. We argue about this for a bit and I explain she can continue in the morning. I return later to find about 40 crayons and paper hidden beneath her bedsheet. She sound asleep, of course.

Eitan, reading with his head in hands: "Aw, dad - this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me!" (14/9/06)

Madeleine to me: "I'll always love you dad - even when I'm a teenager."

I ask Madeleine about the paint on her hands. She, very gravely: "Honestly dad, don't get involved with this." (14/9/06)