Saturday, September 30

Eitan turns six

Today, Eitan's birthday, is also the day of his party which we gamely host at our house. Seven boys and one brave girl join Eitan and Madeleine for, and I consider this carefully, a "free-for-all." Unlike prior fairly mellow gatherings, a group of six year-olds together is a chaos of wrestling, screaming, bull-fighting, and wild emotions. The kids re-united immediately hijack Sonnet's to-the-minute planning and run amuck. We watch in wonder. At one point I find myself in the scrum and hear a most fearful cry: "Hit him in the willie!" which all boys then aim for with their feet and fists. Somehow the two hours pass, in what feels like four, and the parents arrive to pick up their little angels while Sonnet and I shake our heads and promise each other never again.

Some entertaining commments from the birthday:

Me: "who knows where the birthday cake is from?"
Bertie: "IKEA?"

Samual on the cake: "I want the eye! No, the ear!" A fight breaks out over the nose and lips. Ghastly.

Imogen, the only girl and sitting on my lap while the boys rough-house, turns to me and states flatly: "At school, Eitan is mad."

Tobias and Harry play catch with Madeleine's doggy. She screams murder until I arrive to save doggy.

Bertie: "I can chew a banana with my eye-lids."